Vesikko (1933)

Vesikko, probably during the Continuation War. Photo in the collection of the Submarine Vesikko Museum.

Nation
Ship Class
Ship Type
Laid Down
1931
Launched
1933
Commissioned
1934
Decommissioned
1946
AD/BC
AD
History

The Vesikko was a submarine of the Finnish Navy, laid down in 1931. Initially known as CV 707, Vesikko was actually ordered by the Germans posing as a Dutch company, as part of their secret rearmament of the early 1930s. Used as a prototype for the German Type II U-Boats, Vesikko was taken over by the Finns in August, 1934, and joined their Navy in 1936, after Parliament approved the purchase. She operated in the Winter War against Russia, and later in the Continuation War (the Finnish part of WWII), but had limited success. Following the Finnish armistice, Vesikko was ordered to port, and was ordered scrapped by the Allies post-War, since Finland was no longer allowed to possess submarines. However, she was granted a stay of execution, and stored in Helsinki until 1959. Through the efforts of several groups, Vesikko was saved from the scrapyard, and made into a museum, opening on 9 July, 1973, after extensive restoration work.