USS Susquehanna (1850)
The USS Susquehanna was a side-wheel steam frigate of the US Navy, originally laid down in 1847. Commissioned in 1850, she was assigned to the East India Squadron, and was the flagship of Commodore Matthew Perry when he landed in Japan demanding they trade with the US on 8 July, 1853. Susquehanna was also present for the 1854 visit, after which she returned to the US and decommissioned the following year. Recommissioned in 1856, she served in the Mediterranean squadron until 1861, and subsequently was assigned to the blockade of the Confederacy. During her time on blockade duty, Susquehanna captured eight blockade runners, four of them in September, 1861. She also participated in Union attacks on Confederate-held forts, including the capture of Fort Fisher in North Carolina. After the Civil War ended, Susquehanna served in the Atlantic Squadron until laid up in 1868, and was sold for scrap 27 September, 1883.