USS Connecticut (BB-18)
USS Connecticut (BB-18) was the lead of a six-ship class of predreadnoughts. Commissioned 29 September, 1906, Connecticut was flagship of the Jamestown Exposition the following year. In December, 1907, Connecticut sailed with the Great White Fleet for a world tour, visiting port cities in every continent as a display of American naval power. She lead the return procession into Hampton Roads, 22 February,1909. Connecticut underwent a well-deserved overhaul in New York before resuming duty as flagship of the Atlantic Fleet, a position she held until March, 1912. Connecticut was kept busy, conducting frequent cruises to Europe and the Caribbean, and helping safeguard American citizens during the various insurrections in the latter region. A major overhaul in Philadelphia occurred in 1914-15, but during maneuvers off Cuba, a chain broke her propeller shaft, and she had to return to Philadelphia. After repairs, Connecticut transported Marines to Haiti, in support of the American occupation of the island. Upon returning, Connecticut was placed in reserve, but she recommissioned in October, 1916, in response to unrestricted submarine warfare by Germany. Connecticut operated out of Norfolk, Virginia, for the rest of the War, largely as a gunnery training ship. She helped return American troops from France after the Armistice, before resuming training duties, and transferred to the Pacific Fleet in 1921, her first time in the Pacific since the Great White Fleet. However, she fell victim to the Washington Naval Treaty, and Connecticut was decommissioned 1 March, 1923. She was sold for scrap eight months later.