USS Baltimore (C-3)

Baltimore c.1891. Photo in the collection of the US National Archives and Records Administration.

Nation
Ship Class
Ship Type
Laid Down
1887
Launched
1888
Commissioned
1890
Decommissioned
1922
AD/BC
AD
History

The USS Baltimore (C-3) was the second protected cruiser of the US Navy. Ordered from Armstrong, Baltimore was laid down in 1887, and launched 6 October, 1888. Following her commissioning on 7 January, 1890, Baltimore became the flagship of the North Atlantic Squadron. In August that year, she conveyed the body of John Ericsson (of Monitor fame) to Sweden. She then joined the Pacific Squadron, intervening in the Chilean revolution to protect Americans there. Baltimore alternated between the Atlantic and Pacific (mainly the Pacific) until she was decommissioned briefly in 1896, rejoining the Asiatic squadron in 1897, and joining Commodore Dewey in April, 1898. She participated in the Battle of Manila Bay, and remained in the Philippines until May, 1900, when she returned to New York. Out of commission until 1903, Baltimore joined the Caribbean Squadron, and cruised the Mediterranean until she again joined the Asiatic Squadron. Decommissioned again in 1907, Baltimore was used as a receiving ship at the Charleston Navy Yard, before being converted for mine-laying experiments in 1913-14. She served in this capacity until 15 September, 1922, when she was decommissioned again, and resumed her role as a receiving ship, this time at Pearl Harbor. Baltimore witnessed the December 7 raid, before being sold for scrapping in February, 1942.