Ordered in anticipation of Norway breaking off from Sweden, Tordenskjold was the lead in a class of two coast defense ships. Laid down in early 1897, she commissioned 21 March, 1898, a year and three days after launching. She was used as a patrol ship for the next twenty years, before she was converted to a cadet training ship in 1918. Tordenskjold served in that role until the mid-1930s, when she was declared unfit for war, due to her age. She was captured by the Germans in 1940, who renamed her Nymphe and converted into an AA ship, mounting 10.5cm flak guns. She was damaged by RAF aircraft in early May, 1945, and beached to prevent sinking. Nymphe was returned to Norway after the Germans surrendered, and resumed her original name. She was refloated and used as a barracks ship until 1948, but was deemed too old and sold for scrap that year.