NRP Lima (1933)

Lima between 1933 and 1942. Note that she still has both torpedo mounts, one of which was removed in 1942-43. Photo believed to be in the public domain.

Nation
Ship Class
Ship Type
Laid Down
1931
Launched
1933
Commissioned
1933
Decommissioned
1965
AD/BC
AD
History

Lima was a Portuguese Douro-class destroyer, built to order by Yarrow Shipbuilders. Commissioned in 1933, she mounted four 4.7" (120mm) guns, two 2-pounder pompom AA guns, and two quadruple 21" (530mm) torpedo tube mounts. Lima saw extensive work on neutrality patrol during World War II, and her AA armament was upgraded in 1942-43, at the expense of one of her torpedo mounts. She was refitted again from 1946-49 by her builder, receiving an overhaul of her boilers, new AA guns, radar, and sonar. She underwent her third refit in 1957, with a focus on bolstering the anti-submarine and anti-aircraft armament, losing two 4.7" guns in the process. Lima continued in service until 16 October, 1965, and was subsequently scrapped.