Hr.Ms. Schorpioen (1868)
Laid down in August, 1867, Schorpioen was the lead of a two-ship class of Dutch monitors. Commissioned in October, 1868, Schorpioen was armed with two Armstrong 9" (230mm) muzzle-loading rifles. She could make 12 knots on her steam engines, but her sailing rig was deemed unwieldy, and eventually removed. She was rammed in 1886 by a tugboat, and went down. Luckily, she was in shallow enough water to be salvageable. Decommissioned in 1906 or 1909, Schorpioen was used as an accommodation ship. She was captured by the Germans in 1940, and continued in her role through the War. Found in Hamburg in 1947, Schorpioen was repatriated, and continued in her accommodation role until she was fully decommissioned in 1982. However, her work was not done, and Schorpioen became a museum ship in Middelburg, opening in 1989. In 1995, she was repurchased by the Navy, and is now located at the Dutch Navy Museum in Den Helder.