HMS Winchester (1822)

Lithograph of HMS Winchester, date and artist unknown. Image believed to be public domain.

Ship Class
Ship Type
Laid Down
1818
Launched
1822
Commissioned
1822
Decommissioned
1920
AD/BC
AD
History

The fifth HMS Winchester was a Southampton-class frigate mounting fifty-two guns. Laid down in 1818, and commissioned on 16 September, 1822, Winchester served as the flagship of the North American and West Indies Squadrons until 1839. She shifted to the Cape of Good Hope that year, and took over as flagship in 1842. After participating in the Second Burmese War, Winchester transferred to the East Indies and China squadron in 1854, again serving as flagship, and oversaw the signing of the Anglo-Japanese Friendship Treaty in 1854. Following action in the Second Opium War, Winchester led a hunter squadron along the Russian Pacific coast during the 1855 Crimean War, and her unit was the first to chart the area. Returning to England, Winchester was converted to a training ship in 1861 and renamed HMS Conway, being used to 'educate homeless and destitute children.' She rejoined the fleet on 1 September, 1876, and was renamed HMS Mount Edgcumbe, and she was anchored in Saltash, continuing her training of children until 4 December, 1920. She was sold and broken up the following year.

Bonus Information

Fun Fact: While on the North American Station, Winchester was captained by Charles Austen, brother of the novelist Jane Austen.