HMS Victoria (1859)

Victoria under full sail. 1859 print by William Mitchell, original in the public domain.

Ship Class
Ship Type
Laid Down
1856
Launched
1859
Commissioned
1860
Decommissioned
1867
AD/BC
AD
History

HMS Victoria was the last of a proud line. She was the final wooden, three-decker, first rate ship of the line commissioned for the Royal Navy. Laid down in 1856, Victoria was the largest warship until HMS Warrior, and the largest confirmed wooden warship ever. She was armed with 121 guns, all smoothbore muzzleloaders, and equipped for steam propulsion. During trials, Victoria reached 11.797 knots, giving her the speed record for three-deckers. Victoria was completed in 1860, but was immediately placed in the reserve fleet until 1864, when, on 2 November, she was made flagship of the Mediterranean Fleet. She operated out of Malta until 1867, and participated in that years Spithead Fleet Review. By this time Victoria's armament had been reduced to 102 guns, and she was placed in reserve again, after paying off on 7 August. She remained in reserve until 31 May, 1893, when she was sold for scrap, a victim of the rapid evolution of naval technology.