HMS Nelson (1876)
HMS Nelson was the first of two-ship class of armored cruisers. Laid down 2 November, 1874, Nelson commissioned in July, 1881. Assigned to the Australia Station, she became its flagship in 1885, until she returned to England for refit in January, 1889. After completion of the refit, Nelson was made guardship at Portsmouth from October, 1891, to November, 1894, when she was placed in reserve. Hulked and made a stoker's training ship in November, 1901, Nelson served in this capacity until 1910, when she was sold for scrap.