HMS Jervis (F00)

Jervis, probably in the 1930s. Original photo believed to be in the public domain.

Ship Class
Ship Type
Laid Down
1937
Launched
1938
Commissioned
1939
Decommissioned
1946
AD/BC
AD
History

HMS Jervis was the lead ship of the J-class destroyers, laid down in 1937. Built as a flotilla leader, Jervis commissioned on 8 May, 1939, less than four months before the outbreak of war in Europe. She captured a blockade runner on the 5th of September, and spent the next months running sweeps in the North Sea, until she suffered a collision in March, 1940. After completing repairs, Jervis transferred to the Mediterranean, where she was heavily involved in the fighting with the Italian Navy, boarding and scuttling the heavy cruiser Pola during the Battle of Cape Matapan. After surviving the evacuation of Crete, she ran supplies to Tobruk, and was damaged in the December, 1941, human torpedo attack on Alexandria. She would go on to provide cover fire for the Sicily, Salerno, Anzio, and Normandy landings, before she was decommissioned in September, 1944, for a refit. She rejoined the fleet in May, 1945, and helped mop up in the Mediterranean, before she was decommissioned again in 1946. Jervis was used for explosives testing the following year, and sold for scrap in 1949. She received thirteen battle honors, her record only being matched by HMS Nubian and HMS Orion, who served with her, and only beaten by HMS Warspite, who had the advantage of WWI service.

Bonus Information

Fun Fact: Jervis was known as Lucky Jervis, due to never losing a crewman, despite all the damage she took in five and a half years of heavy fighting.