HMS Implacable (1899)
The Formidable-class predreadnought HMS Implacable was laid down 13 July, 1898. Implacable commissioned 10 September, 1901 and joined the Mediterranean Fleet. Her service there was fairly routine, but she suffered boiler explosions in 1905 and 1906. In 1908, Implacable was taken in for refit, and subsequently joined the Channel, and then Atlantic Fleets. At the outbreak of the First World War, Implacable was part of the 5th Battle Squadron, and served with the Dover Patrol until deployed to the Mediterranean for the Dardanelles Campaign. She landed troops on Cape Helles in April, 1915, and provided them with fire support through May, when she was detached to support the Italian fleet against the Austro-Hungarians. Implacable stayed in the Mediterranean until June, 1917, when she was ordered home. After her return to England, Implacable was laid up until March, 1918, and thereafter used as a depot ship for the Northern Patrol. She was decommissioned in 1919, and sold for scrap in 1921.