HMCS CC-1 (1914)
Originally built for Chile in Seattle, Washington, CC-1 had an odd start to her career. In late July, 1914, she was offered to the premier of British Columbia, rather than the Canadian government, after the deal with Chile fell through. She departed Seattle under cover of dark on 4 August, in order to conceal the move from not only the Chileans and Germans, but also the US government. CC-1 commissioned on 6 August, and served in the Pacific Squadron, one of only three Commonwealth ships defending the Canadian West Coast, the main duty having been assigned to the Japanese. CC-1 was sent to the Atlantic in 1917, and spent the rest of the war on training duty. After her costs and seaworthiness were called into question and deemed unsatisfactory, CC-1 was sold for scrap in 1920.