Chacal was the first of France's inter-War destroyers, being laid down 18 September, 1923. Commissioned 1 May, 1926, she suffered machinery problems which delayed completion. Nominally assigned to the Mediterranean, Chacal spent the peacetime years running escort missions, training, and showing the flag. Her depth charges were removed in 1932, and her old 75mm AA guns were replaced by 13.2mm units in 1933. From 1935 to 1939, she was assigned to the naval school at Brest, but was put back on active duty with France's entry to WWII. Chacal was mainly deployed around the Channel, but also saw service in the South of France. Her anti-submarine capability was increased in December, but the following Spring saw her tasked to carry demolition teams to Calais to destroy the port ahead of the German advance. She landed the teams on 22 May, 1940, and bombarded the advancing Germans while demolition work was conducted. On the night of 23-24 May, Chacal was crippled by German bombers and artillery, and was beached. The Germans seemed to leave her there, and she was likely scrapped as she lay post-War.