Vasilissa Olga (1870)

Vasilissa Olga c.1900. Image from the Hellenic Navy's website.

Nation
Ship Type
Laid Down
1869
Launched
1870
Commissioned
1870
Decommissioned
1925
AD/BC
AD
History

Laid down in 1869, Vasilissa Olga was an ironclad corvette ordered from Austria-Hungary by Greece. Commissioned 21 November, 1870, she displaced 2,030 tons, and carried two RML 9" (228mm) and ten RML 7" (177mm) guns. These were all British muzzle-loaders, and were able to fire armor-piercing and explosive shells. Olga could make 10 knots on her engine, and carried a barque sailing rig for cruising. While good for her time, especially with an armor belt of up to 6" (152mm) thickness, Olga was quickly left in the wake of the rapid advances in Naval technology. She never saw combat, and was reduced to a training ship in 1897. Olga was broken up after decommissioning in 1925.