Pantera was the second Leone-class scout cruiser, laid down 19 December, 1921, and commissioned 28 October, 1924. She was used in service off the Italian colonies, and was re-rated as a destroyer in 1938. Mounting eight 120mm (4.7") guns in twin turrets, she was a formidable opponent, but saw very little action. She and three other destroyers attacked convoy BN 7 in the Red Sea on 21 October, 1940, but withdrew after the cruiser HMS Leander engaged them. On 31 March, 1941, they were ordered to attack the Suez Canal on what amounted to a suicide mission, due to the loss of Italy's colonies in Africa. Pantera was scuttled off the Arabian coast on the night of 3-4 April, after being attacked by British aircraft during the day.