Laid down in early 1934, Nürnberg commissioned 2 November, 1935, completing in less than two years. She conducted non-intervention patrols during the Spanish Civil War from 1936-37, and conducted mine-laying and minelayer escort duties during late 1939. She was damaged by a submarine in December, and repairs kept her out of the Norwegian campaign the following April. She saw little service through the rest of the year, and was relegated to training duties in February, 1941. A refit during early 1942 saw most of her anti-aircraft and torpedo armament removed. Apart from a couple short jaunts to Norway, Nürnberg spent most of the War in the Baltic. She was stationed in Copenhagen, Denmark, in January, 1945, and surrendered there to the British post-war. Turned over to the Soviets as a war prize, Nürnberg was renamed Admiral Makarov, and she sailed with the Red Navy until returned to the role of a training vessel in 1954. Makarov was out of service in 1959, and scrapped in 1960.