HMS Defence (1861)
HMS Defence was the lead ship of a class of two ironclads, laid down 14 December, 1859. Commissioned in 1862, Defence spent much of her career with the Channel Fleet, but also spent time on the North American and Mediterranean stations. Defence underwent major refits from 1866-68 and 1872-74, and patrolled off the Dardanelles during the Russo-Turkish War of 1877-78. From 1880-85, Defence served as a guardship on the River Mersey, after which she was converted to a floating workshop and assigned to the mechanical training school at Devonport. She was renamed Indus in 1898, and continued in this role until she was sold for scrap in 1935.