HMCS Forest Hill (K486)

Forest Hill at sea, date unknown. Photo in the collection of the Naval Museum of Manitoba.

Nation
Ship Class
Ship Type
Laid Down
1943
Launched
1943
Commissioned
1943
Decommissioned
1945
AD/BC
AD
History

HMCS Forest Hill (K486) was a Flower-class corvette originally laid down for the Royal Navy as HMS Ceanothos on 5 February, 1943. However, she was transferred to the Royal Canadian Navy before completion, and commissioned on 1 December as Forest Hill. She was assigned to Escort Group C-4 until she went in for refit from December, 1944, to February, 1945, and then to the Halifax Force for the rest of her career. She had a top speed of 16 knots, and a crew of 90. Armament consisted of a single 4" gun, a Mk. VIII 2-pounder pom-pom, a pair of 20mm Oerlikons, a Hedgehog, and seventy depth charges. Forest Hill was decommissioned on 9 July, 1945, and scrapped in 1948.

Bonus Photos

The mascots of Forest Hill inspecting one of her guns. The dog is named Screech, and the cat is Sad-Sad. Royal Canadian Navy photo.