Admiral Spiridov (1868)

Admiral Spiridov at anchor in the late 1800s. Original believed to be in the public domain, hosted at Navsource.

Nation
Ship Type
Laid Down
1866
Launched
1868
Commissioned
1869
Decommissioned
1907
AD/BC
AD
History

Laid down in 1866, Admiral Spiridov was the lead ship of a class of Russian monitors. Commissioned in 1869, she was assigned to the Baltic Fleet in a semi-completed state, not receiving the last of her equipment until 1872, and completing trials the following year. She accidentally rammed the monitor Admiral Lazarev in 1871 while in Kronsdadt, but otherwise had an unremarkable career, being reclassified as a coast-defense ship in 1892. She became a training ship in 1900, and decommissioned in 1907. She was used as a coal barge for a while, and may have been used as a railway bridge pontoon, before likely being scrapped in the 1920s.